How To Treat Insect Bites Safely

The wet season is a good time for insects to cause skin diseases. Most of the insect bites bring mild reactions such as redness, itching and pain in the burned area then disappears. However, in some cases, insect bites can cause allergic reactions such as urticaria, oedema of lips eyes, larynx, bronchospasm or severe shock. So, how to treat insect bites safely?


Some common insects


Many types of ants can cause allergic dermatitis, including three-chambered ants, a scientific beetle named Paederus fuscipes (English name: rove beetles). The three-chambered trunk is smaller than the grain of paddy and has wings and tapering belly. They often fly into the light bulb, clinging to the walls, bed, screen and crawl up on people.

This ant burns very painfully and in the abdomen contain a poison like a pyridine. When this substance exposing to the skin, it creates dermatitis like acidic. Another type of ant is the fire ant. Nodules of some fire ants can cause symptoms such as dizziness or shock depending on the person’s immune system. If the bite is blistered, it should not be broken. You should place a gauze lightly because if the blister breaks, it can lead to infection. Check out this post grinds teeth.


Most of the bees have venoms. Some can cause death with only ten stings. Bee venom contains main protein associating with infected yeast, enzyme bleeding, cellulite, allergens and acetylcholine. In case the burn is severe, the victim will be pale, shocked or cardiovascular collapse and even fatal if not treated in time. 


Caterpillar dermatitis is a larva of butterflies or moths. The larvae have short feathers, which can irritate the skin causing inflammation. The main injuries happen in the face, neck, hands, feet, sometimes conjunctivitis of the eyes. Butterfly larval lesions are usually swollen papules and blisters, hot, or irritated. The larvae can crawl directly on the skin or indirectly by the wind blowing the hair to the clothes.


These insects do not burn people but their prickly feathers produce itchy irritants. The spines of some species can cause severe pain in the exposed skin. Other symptoms include swollen glands, headache, fever, hypotension, and seizures, which can be fatal.


This is a common insect living parasites in dogs, cats or in bushes. Their burns cause not only stinging, swelling or allergic reactions but also fever and redness. When bitten by these insects, pull them slowly or use fire, alcohol or oil to let them fall off. Avoid their teeth sticking to the flesh which can cause infection. Then wash the bite with soap and apply alcohol to treat flea bites fast.

Proper treatment

When bitten by insects, take out the venom immediately and clean the area of the burn. If not, the venom will produce more toxic. In cases the reaction does not require treatment, the swollen area will disappear after a few hours without sequelae. In other cases, the burned area should be cold. 

Antihistamines (such as loratadine, cetirizine ...) and corticosteroids (prednisolon, methylprednisolon ...) may be given as an oral or infusion as soon as possible to relieve the symptoms. In the case of fire ants, after one day the stain usually forms a small pustule caused by necrosis, it is important not to break the pustules to avoid the risk of infection.

The systemic allergic reactions must be treated at the hospital as soon as possible. Allergic reactions must be treated at the facility as soon as possible. The mildest manifestations such as urticaria, erythema also need to be treated early with adrenaline to prevent further evolutions. In case the venom is still in the skin, gently remove them and avoid rinsing the vesicles. This should be done right after the burn. 

Hope that this article helps you know more about insect bites and the way to treat them safely. If you have any ideas, feel free to share with us. Thank you!